LB 518 - PROPOSED CHANGES IN MEDICAID
LB 518 may be well-intended to begin a discussion about alternatives and improvements to Medicaid, but it puts many individuals with disabilities, who often have no other healthcare alternative than Medicaid, at risk.
What does LB 518 propose?
- To severely limit services that would be approved for Medicaid
- Further, the services under the bill would not meet the necessary medical and healthcare needs of many Nebraskans with disabilities.
- For individuals with disabilities who need more services than are afforded funds are deposited into an individual’s Health Savings Account
Disability Rights Nebraska
- Is concerned about the ability of individuals to meet their healthcare needs with the funding ceilings put in place by LB 518.
- Is concerned that the time it would take for a review/appeal of the funding might jeopardize that individual’s health—let alone if the result of the appeal is a denial for an increase.
LB 518 proposes a sea change in the provision of Medicaid for Nebraska and raises more issues and questions than it answers.
Materials Relating to the Bill
February 10, 2015
- Hearing - Bill is sitting in Committee
LB 518 did not advance out of committee and is being held over for consideration in the next legislative session.